LL-L: "Names" (was "Language politics") LOWLANDS-L, 22.JAN.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 22 23:47:01 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.JAN.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Andrew Eagle [K27 at compuserve.com]
Subject: Language politics

Ron wrote

>Are you trying to tell us then that you are *not* a transplanted Native
>American?  ;)  Seriously, that's what an American friend of mine assumed
about
>you and John Feather!  :D

Are names like this not common in all languages. I think the name Eagle
isn't from the name of the bird but from something older that lost its
meaning and became spellt as something with which people were familiar.
Similarly with your own name. No! I won't make jokes about feathered
creatures often found on conflakes packets ;-)

Andy

-------