LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 23.JAN.2000 (03) [E/S]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 23 22:02:14 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JAN.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: "Ian James Parsley" <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject: Signage [S/E]

Colin an ithers,

Fur you an ithers as cud hae an interest, A'v loast mynn o tha exact
naem o tha service station, bot hit wud cry itssel ocht lik "Cairnglen" or
"Cairngorm", aroon 20 mile besouth Glesca on tha M74. Ye maun gae a wee bit
aff tha motorwey afoer ye win tae't (tha mair hit wud be signed alright).
Ye'l see't alright but, fur hit haes naen o tha "normal" naems (lik "Granada" or
"Welcome Break").

For you and others who might be interested, I forget the exact name of  the
service station, but it's called something like "Cairnglen" or "Cairngorm",
about 20 miles south of Glasgow on the M74. You have to go a little way off the
motorway before you come to it (altho' it's signed clearly). You'll spot it
easily though, because it doesn't have one of the "normal" names  (like
"Granada" or "Welcome Break").

Aa tha bess wae't!
-------------------------------
Ian James Parsley
http://www.gcty.com/parsleyij
"JOY - Jesus, Others, You"

----------

From: John M. Tait [jmtait at altavista.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 21.JAN.2000 (01) [E]

One or two points.

1. I think I remember reading that Robbie the Pict had died - am I right?

2. re. place names, there is a difference between bilingual signs and place
names which are simply in Scots. Across the road from me there is a pub
called The Auld Fife. In Shetland there are a few shops with Shetlandic
names - Da Peerie Shop, Da Noost, Faerdimaet, etc; and the no littering
sign Dunna Chuck Bruck is common. It seems to me that bilingual signage for
Scots is in most cases unnecessary - there are many signs which should be
in Scots alone.

3. With regard to following Gaelic, I was talking about the Gaelic
situation in Scotland.

John M. Tait.