LL-L: "Songs" LOWLANDS-L, 23.JAN.2000 (09) [Ap/E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 00:51:58 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JAN.2000 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Songs"

When I changed computers at the beginning of last year the mailer I had been
using on the old one was so archaic I couldn't get a proper archive and lost
a lot of my old emails.

Now I'm trying to find the Appalachian version of Wildwood Flower that
someone (I think Margaret Tarbet) submitted, but I can't find it, it must be
amongst the lost stuff. I've searched everything I have, and the Lowlands-L
Archive, which it must predate!

I wonder if anybody would be so kind as to resubmit it or email it to me
direct? I promise to look after it this time!

Thanks in anticipation,

Sandy
http://scotstext.org

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Songs

Dear Sandy,

As a small token of appreciation for the splendid job you did standing in for me
during my "vacation" last fall, I've done a search in my own archives and came
up with the following posting.  I believe it is what you have been seeking.

Best regards,

Reinhard/Ron

***

From: Richard L Turner <fr.andreas at juno.com>
Subject: Re: LL-L: "Verse" (was "Etymology") [Ap/E/S], LOWLANDS-L,
        08.FEB.1999 (04)

Hey Ar!

Hyer, ais promist, is at transcription o "Wildwood Flower" (Waalwuid
Flar), or leastways th first two verses.

I will twine and will mingle my waving black hair
[Q wUl twQn {n wUl meiNgl mQ wei:vin bl{k h{:r] (see note 1)
With the roses so red and the lily so fair,
[wi D@ ro:ziz s@ reid {n D@ lili: s@ f{:r] (see note 2)
The myrtle so green of an emerald hue,
[D@ m3rdl s@ grein @v @ emr:ld hju:] (see note 3)
The pale amanita and islip so blue.
[D@ pe:il {m at ni:t@ {n Qslip s@ blu:]

Oh, he promised to love me, he promised to love,
[o: hei: prQm at st t@ lVv mei: hei: prQm at st t@ lVv]
And to cherish me always all others above,
[{n t@ ch3riS mei: OHwe:iz OH VDrz @bVv] (see note 4)
I woke from my dream and my idol was clay,
[Q wo:k fVm mQ dre:im {n mQ OdH wVz kle:i]
My passion for loving had vanished away.
[mQ paiSUn f3r lVvin h{id v{iniSt @we:i] (see note 5)

Notes:

1) Aa'm a-reckonin aw lower case vals te have th same value (valye?)
they'd have in Italian. Even [i]. Don't fergit at we pernounce "little"
as Leedle. How fer off is at?
: = length in duration. This hyer gives {: about th same value as Aa'd
reckon ae' (long aesh) wuid git in AngloSaxon.

2) Th [ei] in [reid] is two syllables, or maybe one an a haif.

3)Th [r:] in [emr:ld] is [r] ais a val.

4) Th [H] in [OHwe:iz] is a-standin in fer th labialized [l].

5) Same wi [{i] in [h{id] as fer [ei] back yonder in note 2.

Remarks:

Aa hope te shout at Aa done someaught reckonaazable te ye ais moren a
mistake. Vocalic glaad is a baer te repersent. Aa kin see how this wuid
change yir aadees about spellin. Dern at Caxton an aw his ilk! They done
stole some o th best letters we ever had!

Yorn,
+Fr Andreas Richard Turner.