LL-L: "Lord's Prayer" LOWLANDS-L, 23.JAN.2000 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 01:55:30 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JAN.2000 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Stefaan Vermeire [stefaan.vermeire at advalvas.be]
Subject: Atta Unsar

Dear List Members,

Who is able to give me an (international) phonetic transcription of the Our
Father (Atta Unsar) in Gothic in order to know how I must pronounce it.
Thanks,
Stefaan R.W. VERMEIRE.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Lord's Prayer

Stefaan Vermeire wanted to have the pronunciation of the Lord's Prayer in
Gothic.  Although it is not Lowlandic, I will oblige with my version, though I'm
not sure about stress and would appreciate corrections.

To make it more relevant, I will also add my tentative phonetic transcription of
the Old Saxon version and would appreciate corrections and suggestions.

Since the IPA does not work in this medium, I am using the SAMPA system
(http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/home.htm).

GOTHIC

attar unsar thu in himinam
'atar 'unsar Tu in 'himinam

weihnai namo thein
'wi:Cne: 'namo Ti:n

quimai thiundinassus theins
'kwime: 'Tjundinasus Ti:ns

wairthai wilja theins
'we:rTe: 'wilja Ti:ns

swe in himina jah ana airthai
swe in 'himina jax 'ana 'e:rTe:

hlaif unsarana thana sinteinan gif uns himma daga
xle:f 'unsarana 'Tana 'sinti:nan gif uns 'himma 'daGa

jah aflet uns thatai skulans sijaima
jax 'aflet uns 'Tate: 'skulans 'sije:ma

swaswe jah weis afletam thaim skulan unsaraim
'swaswe jax wi:s 'afletam Te:m 'skulan 'unsare:m

jah ni briggais uns in fraistubnjai
jax ni 'briNe:s uns in 'fre:stubnje:

auk lausai uns of thamma ubilin
o:k 'lo:se: uns of 'Tamma 'uBilin

unte thina ist thiudangardi jah mahts jah wulthus in aiwins amen
'unte 'Tina ist 'TjudaN,garDi jax maxts jax 'wulTus in e:wins 'amen

OLD SAXON
(_The Heliand_, 9th century CE)
(ð = barred d, b^ = barred b)

Fadar ûsa firiho barno,
'fa:dar u:sa 'firiho barno

thu bist an them hôhon himila rîkea,
Tu: bIst ?an TEm 'ho:hOn 'himila 'ri:kea

geuuîhid sî thîn namo uuordo gehuuilico.
g@'wi:hId si: Ti:n 'na:mo 'wOrdo g@'hwi:liko

Cuma thîn craftag rîki.
'kuma Ti:n 'kraftax 'ri:ki

Uuerða thîn uuilleo ob^ar thesa uuerold alla,
'wErDa Ti:n 'wIleo '?o:var 'Tesa 'werOlt '?ala

sô sama an erðo, sô thar uppa ist
so: 'sama ?an ?ErDo so: Tar '?Upa ?Ist

an them hôhon himilo rîkea.
?an TEm 'ho:hOn 'himilo 'ri:kea

Gef ûs dago gehuuilikes râd, drohtin the gôdo,
gef ?u:s 'da:Go g@'hwilikes ra:d 'drOxtIn Te 'go:do

thîna hêlaga helpa, endi alât ûs, heb^enes uuard,
'Ti:na 'he:laGa 'hElpa ?Endi ?a'la:t ?u:s 'he:v at n@s ward

managoro mênsculdio, al sô uue ôðrum mannum dôan.
'manaGoro me:nskUldjo ?al so: we '?o:DrUm 'manUm dO:an

Ne lât ûs farlêdean lêða uuihti
ne la:t ?u:s far'le:dean le:Da wICti

sô forð an iro uuilleon, sô uui uuirðige sind,
so: fOrD ?an ?iro 'wIleOn so: wi 'wIrDij@ sInt

ac help ûs uuiðar allun ub^ilon dâdiun.
?ak hElp ?u:s 'wiDar '?alUn ?uvilOn 'da:djUn