LL-L: "Lord's Prayer" LOWLANDS-L, 24.JAN.2000 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 19:58:06 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 24.JAN.2000 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Lord's Prayer
Ron

In case anybody else's Old Saxon is as weak as mine, do you mind if I offer
Mariana Scott's translation into English? There are some interesting
differences from a straight translation of the Latin.

OLD SAXON
(_The Heliand_, 9th century CE)
(ð = barred d, b^ = barred b)

Fadar ûsa firiho barno,
thu bist an them hôhon himila rîkea,
geuuîhid sî thîn namo uuordo gehuuilico.
Cuma thîn craftag rîki.
Uuerða thîn uuilleo ob^ar thesa uuerold alla,
sô sama an erðo, sô thar uppa ist
an them hôhon himilo rîkea.
Gef ûs dago gehuuilikes râd, drohtin the gôdo,
thîna hêlaga helpa, endi alât ûs, heb^enes uuard,
managoro mênsculdio, al sô uue ôðrum mannum dôan.
Ne lât ûs farlêdean lêða uuihti
sô forð an iro uuilleon, sô uui uuirðige sind,
ac help ûs uuiðar allun ub^ilon dâdiun.

Father of us, the sons of men,
You are in the high heavenly kingdom,
blessed be your name in every word.
May your mighty kingdom come.
May your will be done over all this world -
just the same on earth as it is up there
in the high heavenly kingdom.
Give us support each day, good Lord,
Your holy help; and pardon us, protector of heaven,
our many crimes, just as we do to other human beings.
Do not let evil creatures lead us off
to do their will, as we deserve,
but help us against all evil deeds.

John Feather johnfeather at freeserve.co.uk