LL-L: "Names" LOWLANDS-L, 26.JAN.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 15:30:37 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.JAN.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Names

I'm betting that "Dunedin" is a "scottification" of the AS "Edinburg(h)".

I'm still a bit puzzled by naming "for" and "after". I looked in "Made in
America" by Bill Bryson (born Iowa, long-term resident of Yorkshire,
England). In a chapter on the naming of American towns and geographical
features he uses both forms, though "for" more frequently.

>From my point of view "for" seems to be the much more common form in
American TV and films, though it's possible that it stands out more because
(to the very best of my knowledge) it is not used in Britain, and various
British dictionaries describe the usage as "North American". If it is a
"local" form where is it in the majority? Does anyone out there know from
direct experience or have access to a dialect dictionary which would throw
light on this?

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk