LL-L: "Names" LOWLANDS-L, 26.JAN.2000 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 23:58:20 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.JAN.2000 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: gavilan [gavilan at nbnet.nb.ca]
Subject: LL-L: "Phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 26.JAN.2000 (05) [E]

>>From my point of view "for" seems to be the much more common form in
>American TV and films, though it's possible that it stands out more because

Although I live in Canada, I'm a native Californian.  And as such I would
say, "The baby was named 'Elizabeth' after her grandmother."  I've also
consulted two English professor colleagues (retired as I am) who are
native-speakers of Canadian English and they agree with me.  For us 'for
her grandma' would be understood, but the 'for' can have additional
meanings.

        -+-  Bob Thiel  -+-
        gavilan at nbnet.nb.ca
    Translator: Spanish to English