LL-L: "Names" LOWLANDS-L, 27.JAN.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 15:29:40 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JAN.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Names

The City of Edinburgh Council website (www.efr.hw.ac.uk/EDC/name.html)
insists that the name of the city comes from the British "Dineidin" =
fortress of the hill slope. "The grey area still seems to be whether the
translation from Dunedin to Edinburgh came more through the change in
language [British -> Northumbrian] or more by the (false) association with
Edwin." Edwin, according to this account, actually died some years before
the Northumbrians took the fortress.

So that's that, except for the question: Why call the place "fortress of the
hill slope" when a dun is a fortified hill anyway, or at least usually?

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

----------

From: Robin Huggett [rhuggett at datasource.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Names" LOWLANDS-L

This really intrigues me because I only use "named after". But my family is
primarily of German and Norwegian decent, with 3 generations on the German
side born in America and two generations on the Norwegian born in America. I
wonder if the small bit of Welsh (Edwards) that comes from my mother's side
(though it's now been about 100 yrs since any ancestors from her side were
actually from the British Isles) has trickled down the use of "named after"
into our family. I just have to quiz my father now (Norwegian/German) to find
out what he uses.Fascinating.
Robin

contributors from N.America, the British Isles and Australasia,
my impression is that 'named for' is North American and
'named after' is British.

Best wishes

John Lindley
Wigginton
York.
<<<
----------

From: Jan De Craemere [rycobel at compuserve.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Names" LOWLANDS-L, 26.JAN.2000 (11) [E]

>The word "dun" was a very widespread term in Celtic languages - it's to be
>found in the Highlands of Scotland, in the Scottish Lowlands, even in what
>were Brythonic areas such as Lauderdale (note also the town of Duns in
>Berwickshire), throughout Wales and Ireland, and also in England (e.g.
>Wimbledon, and the English topographical term "the downs") and across the
>water (e.g. Dunkerque & Thun).

The 'dun' in Dunkerque has another source:

Dunkerque is the French adaption of flemisch 'Duinkerke' which means church
in the dunes.

Jan De Craemere.