LL-L: "Phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 28.JAN.2000 (02) [E/German]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 28 15:29:35 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JAN.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: "Ian James Parsley" <parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L: "Phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 27.JAN.2000 (06) [E]

Ron,

Yes, what you say is correct, the phonological rule from Gaelic has
passed
into many Scottish dialects of English, and is universal in southern
Ireland
and SW Ulster (i.e. it is only NOT observed in the far NE of Ireland).
However, its observance is very unusual in Ulster-Scots (given that it
is
precisely in the NE of Ireland that Ulster-Scots is spoken).

Best wishes,
Ian James Parsley
http://www.gcty.com/parsleyij
"JOY - Jesus, Others, You"