LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 11.JUL.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 19:54:30 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.JUL.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: John M. Tait [jmtait at altavista.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Language varieties" 05.JUL.2000 (01) [E]

Ron wrote:

  I cannot speak for John Tait,
>but I understood him as referring to this when he said,
>
>> 4. Further to 2, the Slavonic languages are very
>> similar to a linguist but
>> the degree of mutual intelligibility seems to be low
>> for native speakers.

I didn't say this - think it was John Feather. There are far too many Johns
around. One group I was involved with recently had four, and I had to refer to
myself  as John Magnus - as I am known in Shetland.

John M. Tait.