LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 13.JUL.2000 (06) [E/LS/German]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 20:09:03 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.JUL.2000 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "H. Geist" <hargeys at t-online.de>
Subject: Place names.

Leeve Leeglanners,

Jüst hev ik in use "Kreiszeitung" 'n interessanten Artikel leest. Ik zitier
maal:

>Saterland schützt seine Sprache auf Schildern.

>Erlaubnis für zweisprachige Ortstafeln.
>Saterland (dpa). In der vermutlich kleinsten Sprachinsel Europas, dem Saterland (Kreis >Coppenburg),
>gibt es seit gestern Ortstafeln in zwei Sprachen. Die Orte Ramsloh, Scharrel, Sedelsberg und
>Strücklingen stellen sich den Besuchern und Durchreisenden künftig auch mit den saterfriesischen
>Namen Roomelse, Schäddel, Saidelsbierich und Strukelje vor.
>Die zweisprachige Kennzeichnung hatte Verkehrsminister Peter Fischer genehmigt. Zuvor hatten
>regionale Behörden und auch das Ministerium den Namenswunsch der Saterfriesen abgelehnt.
>Aus ihrer Sicht hätten mehrsprachige Ortstafeln lediglich für eine unerwünschte Ablenkung der
>Autofahrer gesorgt.
>Aus Sicht Fischers schützt und pflegt die Doppelbezeichnung dagegen die saterfriesische
>Sprache. Saterfriesisch sprechen nach amtlichen Angaben noch rund 2000 der insgesamt 13000
>Saterfriesen.

Nu hebbt se in düssen Biedrag nich künnig maakt, of dat för alle Oorten in't
Saterland gellen schall.
Ik glööv, dat is eerst de Anfang. Amenn is dat ok 'n godes Bispill för annere
noorddütsche Rebeten.

Beste Gröten

Harald Geist

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Language politics

Dear Lowlanders,

Thanks to Harald Geist for informing us above about recent news regarding
Sater Frisian (of Saterland, the only remaining enclave of East Frisian, south
of the traditional East Frisian area which replaced Frisian with Low Saxon/Low
German long ago).  For those of you who do not understand the German news
article, here is a quick summary:

The regional administration has at long last granted permission for bilingual
(German and Sater Frisian) village and town signs in Saterland; e.g.,
"Ramsloh/Roomelse", "Scharrel/Schäddel", "Sedelsberg/Saidelsbierich", and
"Strücklingen/Strukelje".  Previously, permission had not been granted, the
reason given being that such bilingual signs would distract motorists ...

Thanks, Harald, for giving me the giggles.  The excuses those bureaucrats come
up with for the sake of sabotaging minority language rights ...  It's weird
enough that permission must be requested in the first place.  Hey! Since Low
Saxon (Low German) is used in that area as well, why not go one step farther
and request permission for *trilingual* signs, e.g.,
"Sedelsberg/Saidelsbierich/Seidelsbarg"?  That'd get the poor, little
bureaucrats' heads spinning.  Yep, the roads through Saterland would be one
great, big heap of smashed motorcars.