LL-L: "Signs" 15.JUL.2000 (02) [D/E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 15 17:40:33 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JUL.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Henry Pijffers [hpijffers at home.nl]
Subject: LL-L: "Signs" LOWLANDS-L, 14.JUL.2000 (05) [D/E]

Roger Thijs hef skreeven:

> Selland
> 1699 ..."op het sellant, allwaer den blauwen steen pael gesset is"...
> Volgens het Middelnederlandsch Handwoordenboek is een "sellant" een
> zoutland, zoute moeren die men bedekte en uitveende om er "selzout" uit
te
> bereiden.
> (I cannot imagine one could win salt in Mortsel, the river Schelde gets
> water from the sea though from the tides, but Mortsel is more than 5
miles
> East from the river shore)

In the east of the Netherlands we have an area called Salland, which
neighbours Twents, and in
parts of Salland and Twente salt is won, although Twente is nowhere near a
major river, let alone
the sea. Salland used to be adjacent to the Zuiderzee, which was closed off
from the North Sea
and is not salt anymore these days.

Henry

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Signs

Beste Henry,

Salland is 'n Rebeed mit besünnere neddersassische Dialekten, ne?

Hett de Naam "Salland" wat mit "Sult" ~ "Solt" (salt) to doon, d.h.
"Sultland" ~ "Soltland"?  Wo heett dat mit neddersassischen Naam?

Gröötnissen,