LL-L: "Celtic connections" LOWLANDS-L, 21.JUL.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 21 14:39:48 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 21.JUL.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Dalriadan"

This is not Lowlands-related except in a peripheral way: it's
a brief continuation of something I brought up in an earlier
discussion on Lowlands-L, so I hope I can post it here for
those who took an interest.

It was two years ago, I think, that I mentioned that a friend
of mine returned from a course in traditional music in Ireland,
and told me that he had met someone from the extreme north east
of Ireland who claimed that his native language was Pictish.

Andy Eagle (I'm sure it was) replied that in fact Scottish Gaelic
is spoken on a few islands off the north east coast of Ireland.

I was thinking today about the original Scots who came over and
founded the kingdom of Dalriada, which remained confined to the
mid-west of Scotland for some centuries before they branched out
and conquered the Picts, spreading their own language over most
of the country. It's from this language that modern Scottish
Gaelic is descended.

The Scots (or Dalriadans) originated from a broad strip of land
stretching the whole length of the east coast of Northern Ireland
(usually referred to as "Irish Dalriada").

It has just dawned on me (this is why I'm up in the middle of the
night writing this email!) that if this person my friend met called
his language "Pictish", then it must be that he doesn't consider it
to be either Irish or Scottish Gaelic. Considering that he probably
lives in what was once Irish Dalriada, I wonder if his language is
not in fact Pictish but "modern Dalriadan", ie a modern form of the
language of the original Scots?

Does this seem feasible, or has anyone heard of such a thing (Andy)?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
  Things in this subloonary warld bein far frae
perfeck, 'No that bad' is the maist that mortal
man can venture tae say while here ablo.
             - Catherine P. Slater, 'Marget Pow'