LL-L: "Language conflicts" LOWLANDS-L, 25.JUL.2000 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 25 14:46:31 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.JUL.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Lieko Helmus" <lhelmus at chello.nl>
Subject: LL-L: "Language conflicts" (was "Loanguage politics",  Frisian on
Radio!!!

L.S.,
In this discussion there was the wondering why Frisian is only
on cable television (CTV) and "forbidden" to be relayed outside
Fryslan. But recently Omrop Fryslan proundly announced it
had started its own website: www.omropfryslan.nl giving the
impression it was from then on possible to really hear (via
RealPlayer or so) over the Internet live all its Radio programs.
But what a disappointment! They only have the details of programs
I in Hilversum cannot even listen to. But when I complained to them
there was not even a polite reply.
Omrop Fryslan really live
on the Internet will be a tremendous boost to the Frisian culture
and language. But many see even this as a dangerous process
of Nationalism. And if there is one thing certain people in "Holland"
are afraid of its this thing called nationalism. It will bring another
Hitler or so.
With a Frisian generation now all over this planet still willing and able to
pass on their language  to the next one, Omrop Fryslan to me is key.
Liekele Lieuwes Helmus, Hilversum

Liekele (Lieko) Helmus & Rinske Helmus-Deutekom
Siriusstraat 52, NL-1223 AP Hilversum, the Netherlands
31(0)35 6858 675 (+voicemail)   Fax 31(0)20 8848 931(fax2pc)
gsm 06 28184122 (+SMS)          NetMeeting (+Webcam)
lhelmus at chello.nl

----------

From: HS Brandsma [hsbrand at jol04.cs.vu.nl]
Subject: LL-L: "Language conflicts" (was "Loanguage politics",

koartby waard skreaun troch Criostoir:

> I'm very surprised that Frisian language television is
> only available on cable. I assumed - naively,
> evidently - that the Netherlands were fairly
> enlightened when it came to minority issues, but if a
> language that is spoken by the majority of Fryslan
> (55%) is not broadcast so that majority can enjoy
> television in its own language, that comes very close
> to linguistic hegemony and intolerance. Very
> disappointing.

Well, to be fair, most Dutch households have cable, so only very
remote places will not be able to get Frisian television. So certainly
a majority of the Frisians (say 90 %, maybe more) are able to receive
it. But those outside the province cannot (though there are quite a
few emigrants, even in the Netherlands). BTW, only the news, some
documentaries and a little bit of entertainment is broadcast dayly,
maybe two hours worth (which is then repeated). But it is a start. On
national television (both cable and broadcast) there is a half hour of
Frisian tv (by the same Omrop Frysla^n). This has already been so
since I was young (I remember watching it as a little kid).

Henno Brandsma