LL-L: "Administrativa" LOWLANDS-L, 28.JUL.2000 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 28 22:14:12 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JUL.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Colin Wilson [lcwilson at iee.org]
Subject: LL-L: "Language conflicts" LOWLANDS-L, 28.JUL.2000 (01) [E]

At 08:23 28/07/00 -0700, Criostoir O Ciardha wrote:
>In 1984 a Nationalist
>majority on the City Council changed the name
>officially to "Derry" but on most maps and documents
>it is referred to as "Londonderry".

I hesitate to take issue with someone who in other ways seems
very well informed, but... as I understand it, in 1984 the local
authority changed *its own name* to "Derry City Council". To go so
far as to change the name of the city itself, would have been
beyond its authority. As far as I know, authority to do that
is the preserve of the British government.

When I motored through in 1990, the signs at the city limits didn't
say "Welcome to Derry", but rather "Welcome to the Derry City Council
area."

Colin Wilson.

                               the graip wis tint, the besom wis duin
Colin Wilson                   the barra wadna row its lane
writin fae Aiberdein           an sicna soss it nivver wis seen
                               lik the muckin o Geordie's byre