LL-L: "Morphophonology" 12.JUN.2000 (01) [E/S]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 12 18:12:00 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.JUN.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Thomas [t.mcrae at uq.net.au]
Subject: LL-L: "Morphophonology" 11.JUN.2000 (01) [E/LS]

Such phrases were commonplace in Edinburgh working class dialect in my day
and probably still are. An example I heard in the early 60's in Gorgie
involving a latter day teddy boy recounting to a young admirer is typical.
I'm afaid I can't write in standardised Scots so put up with my
interpretation. "Las nite efter ra pub shuts am gawn 'along ra road singin
'Ra Tower o' Strenth'. Ra cop cums up ti mi an sez 'Ahll gie Yi ra Tower o'

Strenth if Yi dinnae shurrup.' Ah lewks at um an sez 'Och away tae F....!'
Then away a runz afore i cun catch mi."
I can still see the narrator in my mind with his ancient drape jacket and
iron scorched drainpipe trousers.
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae