LL-L: "Delectables" LOWLANDS-L, 01.MAR.2000 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 1 16:05:56 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.MAR.2000 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Lila Honsberg [Morado3197 at aol.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 28.FEB.2000 (07)[E/German]

Dear Reinhard,
Labskaus is one of my very favorite dishes...It's fascinating to me, that
apparently Labskaus did not originate in Germany after all ! Quite a
surprise.
Does anyone know what it would be called in Spanish ?
We always eat it with a side dish of " Apfelmuß".  Is the apple sauce
included, when you eat it in Hamburg?
I have never made it with "Rollmops" (Hering) I always make it only with
corned beef and bacon, etc.
Best regards,
Lila

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Delectables

Dear Lila,

It's good to see that dishes from the old country are still eaten even among
those descendants of emigrants whose first language has become Spanish,
Portuguese or English in the "New" World.

As I mentioned earlier, my family has no labskaus tradition.  I only got to
taste the dish once or twice in Hamburg restaurants, and it's a blur to me
now.  (I wasn't terribly impressed then, but that may have nothing to do with
the dish itself but with the way it was prepared.)  However, I have never
heard of it being served with apple sauce as you do it.

For us North Germans, apple sauce (_Appelmoos_ / _Apfelmuß_) is a must with
_Kantüffelpannkoken_ / _Kartüffelpannkoken_ / _Kartoffelpfannkuchen_ /
_Kartoffelpuffer_, namely with potato pancakes.  This dish is almost identical
to that called _latke(s)_ in the East European Jewish tradition -- and I mean
traditional _latkes_, not the "modern" quick version with shredded potatoes
and scallions (green onions).  The potatoes and the (brown) onions must be
pretty finely grated.  Then you add some egg, flour and salt (and pepper if
you wish) and make crispy pancakes in oil from this mixture.  The only
different is that _latkes_ are usually served with sour cream rather than with
apple sauce.  I like it both ways but prefer it with apple sauce, not because
that's how I knew it as a child but because apple sauce cuts the fat while
sour cream adds fat to fat.

Best regards,