LL-L: "Delectables" LOWLANDS-L, 01.MAR.2000 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 1 18:24:27 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.MAR.2000 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Wilf Ratzburg [Wilf_Ratzburg at bcit.ca]
Subject:  LL-L: "Delectables" LOWLANDS-L, 01.MAR.2000 (07) [E]

>From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
>Subject: Delectables

 This dish is almost identical
>to that called _latke(s)_ in the East European Jewish tradition -- and
I mean
>traditional _latkes_, not the "modern" quick version with shredded
potatoes
>and scallions (green onions).  The potatoes and the (brown) onions must
 be
>pretty finely grated.

Ron, I must take exception to your version of the "traditional" puffer.
Traditional, in my family (Grandmothers, aunts, and mother -- from
Bremen, Ost Friesland and Schleswig-Holstein) means that the potatoes
MUST be a COARSE grate. For me, finely grated potatoes are the sure sign
of an amateur cook (the kind who might even try to sneak the spuds into
a food processor - YUCK!).

In the end, I guess it is all a matter of what you grow up with

>Then you add some egg, flour and salt (and pepper if
>you wish) and make crispy pancakes in oil from this mixture.

Cheers,
Wilf Ratzburg
West Vancouver, BC
Canada

----------

> Ron, I must take exception to your version of the "traditional" puffer.
> Traditional, in my family (Grandmothers, aunts, and mother -- from
> Bremen, Ost Friesland and Schleswig-Holstein) means that the potatoes
> MUST be a COARSE grate. For me, finely grated potatoes are the sure sign
> of an amateur cook (the kind who might even try to sneak the spuds into
> a food processor - YUCK!).

That's interesting!  And to us the coarse grind is the sign not only of the
amateur cook but also of the *lazy* cook!  (Grinding the potatoes finely takes
a lot of time and elbow grease.)

> In the end, I guess it is all a matter of what you grow up with

Indeed.

Den een sien Uul is den annern sien Nachtegall.
(One person's owl is the other person's nightingale.)