LL-L: "Code switching" LOWLANDS-L, 08.MAR.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 8 15:33:38 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 08.MAR.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Ian James Parsley" <parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L: "Code switching" LOWLANDS-L, 07.MAR.2000 (01) [E]

John,

You make a couple of interesting points in your two mails.

Firstly, there is a fundamental difference between the situation of
Scots in
Ulster and that, say, in NE Scotland that I've only just thought about
(so
bear with me on this point), namely that the "English" which is
encroaching
on NE Scotland is at least "Scottish English", whereas the "English"
encroaching on Ulster-Scots is "Ulster English". Which is quite a
different
matter, as Ulster English contains more outside (i.e. actual "English")
elements that ScEng. But I'm still working on this idea.

Secondly, I have often wondered about the Lerwick passage you mentioned
in
Crystal. I find most of his work very interesting, but was rather less
than
satisfied about that whole section on Scots and quite flabbergasted by
the
sheer inaccuracy of the section on "Ireland" - the reason so few
linguists
have ever come to terms with NIEng (or Ulster English) is that they
insist
on viewing it as a natural extention of "Hiberno-English", when in fact
it
is as much if not more a natural extention of ScEng (I don't speak with
what
could remotely be termed an "Ulster-Scots" accent, but I've been
mistaken
for a Scot far more often than an Irishman). This quite aside from the
fact
that the border, whether we like it or not, generally dictates that
Northern
Ireland people (and those in Donegal who view Belfast as their cultural
centre) naturally educate their speech towards the Belfast standard,
while
those in the South naturally tend towards Dublin.

It is all the more galling in this case because Crystal himself is an
Ulsterman!!

Best regards,