LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 20.MAR.2000 (03) [D/E/French]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 21 00:38:34 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.MAR.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Peter Stornebrink [frlboppe at direct.ca]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" (was "Language varieties") LOWLANDS-L,
20.MAR.2000 (02) [E]

>Ron wrote:

>From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
>Subject: Etymology
>
>Peter Stornebrink wrote:
>
> >The word "lytje" reminded me of the Frisian word "lyts", as used, for
> >example, in the expression:
> >"in lyts bytsje", "een klein beetje", "un petit peu".
> >
> >I wonder if Flemish "lytje" might be related to the Frisian "lyts"
>
>Peter,
>
>Those are most certainly related.  _Lytje_ is the diminutive form of
*_lyt_
>(which may no longer exist).  You find it preserved in Scandinavian, e.g.
>in Norwegian _lite_ 'little (amount)', _liten_ 'little'.  English _little_

>is also a diminutive derivation (< Old English _l{y^}tel_).  Pre-Modern
>German has _lützel_ (< Old High German _luzzil_).  It is not used in
>Standard German.  In the majority of Low Saxon (Low German) dialects,
>certainly in most North Saxon ones, the normal word for 'little' or
'small'
>is _lütt_ [lYt] (e.g., _de lütte Jung_ 'the little boy').  The Old Saxon
>diminutive derivation _luttil_ does not have a direct descendant in any
>Modern Low Saxon I know of.  Some farwestern dialects of North Saxon have
>_lütt_ like most other dialects (e.g., _'n lütt beten_ 'a little bit', _De

>Jung is lütt_ 'The boy is little') but use what seems like a diminutive
>form in inflections (e.g., _De lüttje Jung_ 'the little boy'; elsewhere
_de
>lütte Jung_).  This _lüttje_ is most definitely a cognate of Flemish
>_lytje_.  The hypothetical Germanic root of all of these is *_lut-_.
>
>By the way, who is the "y" in _lytje_ pronounced?
>
>Regards,
>
>Reinhard/Ron

Ron,
I don't really know how the Flemish pronounce 'lytje'. Roger should be able

to answer that part.
I assume you know the pronunciation of the Frisian word 'lyts' being a
short 'i', like in the Dutch 'fiets'.
I had wondered if the Flemish word originated from Frisian since that
language at one time was spoken all the way along the North Sea coast down
to Northern France, if I am not mistaken. Did the word perhaps originate
somewhere in Scandinavia?

Regards,

Peter Stornebrink Victoria BC, Canada

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Etymology

Peter Stornebrink asked about *_lut-_:

> Did the word perhaps originate
> somewhere in Scandinavia?

I don't think so, Peter.  I assume it is a part of inherited, common
Germanic.  Of course, *all* Germanic varieties are descendants of varieties
spoken in what nowadays are Denmark and Southern Sweden, an area usually
assumed to be the original homeland of the Germanic people.