LL-L: "Old English" LOWLANDS-L, 03.MAY.2000 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 15:20:06 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.MAY.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Thomas [t.mcrae at uq.net.au]
Subject: LL-L: "Old English" LOWLANDS-L, 02.MAY.2000 (08) [E]

> Old English poetry has to be
> read aloud; you can't just let it lie there on the page.  Heaney's own
> English - from N. Ireland, if I remember this rightly - owes much to Scots,
> and Scots it seems to me is much closer in syntax to Old English and descends
> directly from the Northumbrian form of that language.
I'd agree with Joe Stromberg and am very pleased to see this statement.
Chaucer was double dutch to me until I tried reading it aloud in a Lowland
Scots accent, suddenly all became clear. I have no linguistic qualifications
but from then on I felt Lowland Scots probably came in an original form with
northern English refugees from the chaos of The Dark Ages coming into Scots
territory. Until now I've been chary of writing about this idea.
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia
"Oh wid some power the Giftie gie us
Tae see oorselves as ithers see us"
Robert Burns--

From: Mike Adams [abrigon at yahoo.com]
Subject: The Buy

Interesting the Kopen, since in Engligh there is Coop, or Cop.

One is used like "to coop a feel" basically meaning to touch a member of
the gender you like without their wishes, or atleast for semi-sexual
gratification.

While Cop, not sure where it came from, but could it be how they were
bought?

Mike