LL-L: "Historical phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 03.MAY.2000 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 23:52:19 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.MAY.2000 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Roger Thijs [Roger.Thijs at village.uunet.be]
Subject: LL-L: "Historical phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 03.MAY.2000 (04) [E]

At 08:26 3/05/00 -0700, you wrote:
>From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
>Subject: Names
>John Feather wrote under "Names":
>> a) why French has "guêpe" for "wasp" while Italian has "vespa"
>I'm not quite sure what your basic assumption is here.  Are you suggesting
(1)
>that the word for 'wasp' is a Germanic loan in French but not in other
Romance
>varieties, or (2) that the Germanic word for 'wasp' is a loan in all Romance
>varieties but shows the "gu-" phenomenon only in French?  Interestingly, this
>word is one of those that in most Germanic varieties underwent metathesis of
>/ps/ to /sp/; e.g., Old English _wæpse_ > Middle English _waspe_ > Modern
>English _wasp_ -- similarly in German and Dutch.  Pre-metathesized forms are
>preserved for instance in Scots _waps_ (~ _waasp_) and Low Saxon (Low German)
>_Weps_ ~ _Wöps_ ~ _Wepsch_ (~ _Wesp_).  The word has been linked with the
>Indo-European verbal root for 'to weave'.  _Vespa_ already occurs in Latin,
>and most Romance varieties have similar forms (also Occitan _vèspa_).

In my Limburgish (Vliermaal) we say also "wijps" for the Dutch "wesp".

As to the w to g transformation, did eventually "Wodan" by this phenomenon
change into "God". In my dialect we say "goensdoag" for the Dutch
"woensdag" (wednesday).

Similarely in old Flemish:

Doemen schreef Ons Heren jaer
Dertien hondert ende twee vor waer,
Op enen __goensdach__, dat verstaet,
So geviel ene grote daet
Den Vlaminge tegen die Fransoyse,
(chronicle by Velthem of the French-Flemish battle of the "gulden sporen"
in Kortrijk in 1302)

As to French, cf. the (Dutch) names:
Willem: Guillaume
Wouter: Gauthier