LL-L: "Romance connection" (was "Morphology") LOWLANDS-L, 04.MAY.2000 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 14:50:49 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.MAY.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Thomas [t.mcrae at uq.net.au]
Subject:  LL-L: "Morphology" LOWLANDS-L, 03.MAY.2000 (06) [E]

Ian James Parsley wrote....

> Scots also has had its own influences over time as well,
Perfectly true but among those influences French is often overlooked. There
was French settlement at least around Edinburgh, partuclarly during the
reign of Marie de Guise, out of this many words crept into Lowland Scots.
Most notorious would have to be "Gardyloo!" yelled by folks throwing slops
from high windows into the street below until around the early 19th century.
One ignored this warning at one's peril, iIt originated from "Gardez a
l'haut"....'Look out from on high'
To this day a Scot will go into the butcher shop and ask for "A Jiggit o'
Lamb" a variant of 'gigot' which after cooking will be served on an "Ashet"
from assiette. Normal folks refer to small onions with edible long green
stalks as 'spring onions' the Scots call them "Siebiz" a good match for the
French 'soubise'.
As a child me and my pals played a street game called "Ahleevoy", where we
all ran and hid from the Catcher. When found we had to congregate in a den
from which we'd be released if some free player could rush in shouting
"Ahleevoy Out!" which was neutralised if the Catcher then ran in shouting
"Ahleevoy In!". Wonder of they play it still?
Seems to me the word is derived from 'Allez-vous' which would make the game
very old and indicate French and Scots children played together. Pure
speculation on my part as is my last example.....
In Edinburgh the old name for a wino was a "Jake a loo" and those guys drank
the most amazing concoctions. (Recipes only offline. :-). Could this have
originated from 'Jacques a l'haut' I wonder? If so it's either of pretty old
origins or possibly introduced by French sailors much later on, it has
certainly been current as far back as the early 1900's. Who knows?
I wonder of some of those words are found in Ulster?
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia