LL-L: "Romance connection" LOWLANDS-L, 04.MAY.2000 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri May 5 00:13:41 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.MAY.2000 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk]
Subject: "Romance connection"

> From: Ian James Parsley [parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk]
> Subject: Re: LL-L: "Romance connection" (was "Morphology")
>
> Tom,
>
> It is true the French influence is often overlooked. All the examples you
> give are valid in Ulster also ('ashet' also occurs in Ulster Gaelic),
> although my two favourite ones are 'fash' ('bother') and 'jalouse'
> ('suspect').

I believe it's possible to make quite a list of French-derived words in
Scots that aren't present in English. One of the more intersting (but
possibly fanciful) ones is "petticoat tails" (shortbread cut in a specific
sort of shape). Is the name just a description of the shape of the
shortbread, or is it really from some sort of French description such as
"petits gatelles" (little cakes?)?

Another interesting one is "kickshaws" (what these days in English is
described as "finger food"), said to be from the French  "quelque chose".
Hmmm... I've just looked this word up in the SND & CSD and the SND
Supplement to check the etymology and the word isn't there at all! Did I
imagine it??

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
http://www.fleimin.demon.co.uk