LL-L: "Morphophonology" LOWLANDS-L, 22.MAY.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon May 22 15:37:47 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.MAY.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Iustin Churchill [mladios at hotmail.com]
Subject: Grammar

Greetings
  I was writing a poem for an english class where I was trying to go for a
somewhat archaic touch and I found myself writing "thunk" for "thought" in
certain line. The line fragment reads: "He thunk it a masterwork", the
implication in context being that it really wasn't. I wasn't sure though if

the word even exists.
  I thought I might be getting confused by similar verbs: sink->sunk,
fling->flung etc. Then I remembered the phrase "Who'd 've thunk it!?"
(actualy I would pronounce it "who'd a thunk it!?".) My understanding of
it's use is as an exclamation of surprise meaning 'no one would have
expected that, that is a surpriseing turn of events.' Is 'thunk' here just
humorous intentional error, or a relic surviving in an idiom? My Professor
and classmates found it amusing and insisted the word doesn't exist, and I
can't find it in my dictoinaries.
  On a German tangent, what of 'dünken' (to seam)? Could it be related to
"denken"? After all, thinking something is something, and  something
seaming
to be something are very similar ideas. "Methinks" means something like "it

seams to me..." right? Any possible connection?

   Furthermore, what about the dialect word 'brung' for brought as in "Aa
brung ya somethin"? Does it have an old history or is it a new word like
"snuck" seams to be?

thunks in advance ;)
Justin Churchill