LL-L: "Administrativa" LOWLANDS-L, 29.MAY.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon May 29 21:56:07 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.MAY.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Administativa

Dear Lowlanders,

Some time ago, we voted in favor of including Limburgish as a Lowlands
language, and we have been fortunate enough to hear about Limburgish before
and since, mostly from Roger Thijs.  Lately, a few new subscribers
mentioned in their applications that they were interested in Limburgish
among other Lowlands languages.  Also, I have noticed that "Limburgs,"
"Limburgisch" etc. rank among the top search terms at our web site.

We never formalized our inclusion of Limburgish by mentioning it on our
welcome pages and by posting our online welcome in a Limburgish version.  I
think it is about time we do so.

Apparently we have a small number of Limburgish speakers among our
subscribers.  I ask them now to provide me with a Limburgish translation of
our welcome, basing it on any of the versions we have online.

Furthermore, I ask those of you who know these languages how to say
"Limburgish" in Bökingharde North Frisian (Frasch) and Amrum North Frisian
(Öömrang).  Also, please let me know (privately) if the following are
incorrect:

Appalachian: Limburgish
Mainland Scots: Limburgish
Ulster Scots: Limburgish
Shelandic: Limburgish
Stellingwerven Low Saxon: Limborgs
Dutch: Limburgs
Afrikaans: Limburgs

Finally, it is regrettable that we do not have a version in East Frisian,
namely in  Sater(land) Frisian, the only surviving group of East Frisian
varieties (preserved in an enclave outside Eastern Friesland).  Is any of
you able to provide a translation, or does any of you know of anyone who
might be able to help us?

I would also welcome versions of our welcome in other Low Saxon/Low German
dialects, e.g., in dialects of Groningen, Drenthe, Twente, Overijssel,
Achterhoek, Eastern Veluwe, Westphalia, Eastphalia, Pommerania, and
Mennonite Low Saxon/Low German (Plautdietsch).

In all of this, please refer to any of the versions that are linked from
the index page at http://www.geocities.com/sassisch/rhahn/lowlands/.
(Please also provide the translation of "Visitors Book.")  You may send
these translations directly to me at sassisch at yahoo.com.  I will happily
acknowledge your contributions.

Thank you in anticipation.