LL-L: "Anglo-Frisian" LOWLANDS-L, 18.NOV.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 19 00:43:31 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 18.NOV.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ethan Barrett [barrett at kitcarson.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Anglo-Frisian" LOWLANDS-L, 18.NOV.2000 (01) [E]

>Just out of curiosity how was the <th> (assumedly) pronounced?
>
>Was <th> actually written <th> in the original or was it maybe eth or
>thorn?
>
>Andy Eagle

The 'th' sould is very old, prehistoric, and is assumed to have been
pronounced the same as in Modern English.  It was represented by the
'thorn'
rune or the 'eth' symbol, which were used interchangedly by scribes even in

the same sentance!  There are some OE words that use a double-thorn, as in
oþþe (= either, or), and I assume this 'thth' to have been pronounced
precisely the same way as it is pronounced today as in 'either'.

Ethan Barrett