LL-L: "Phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 20.NOV.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 20 18:29:37 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 20.NOV.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Helge Tietz [helgetietz at yahoo.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Anglo-Frisian" LOWLANDS-L, 18.NOV.2000 (03) [E]

There is indeed a th-prionouciation for words like
"brother" and it is still existing among native
"Soelring"-speakers, if a Soelringer might not be able
to pronounce it then that is because he/she was not
raised in the languages and had standart German
instead. But the "th" even occurs in my native Low
Saxon dialect from Rendsborg, only the pronounciastion
resambles a lot more the Danish d-pronounciation in
words like "ud", which sounds to foreigners almost as
an "l" but is effectively a mutation of the old
Germanic th. Our th-pronounciation occurs in the same
words as it does in English as e.g. "brother" is
pronouced "broler", though the l is distingtively
different from the normal one, just don't have the
"ed"-sign currently on my keyboard, have to import it
from Icelandic, I think.