LL-L: "Literature" LOWLANDS-L, 22.NOV.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 22 15:41:05 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.NOV.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Stefan Israel [stefansfeder at yahoo.com]
Subject: "Literature"

Ron heff schreben:

> [...] This and the title of the tale ("Von dem Fischer un
syner
> Fru") as well as
> some phrases in the text itself are either archaic or they are
> suspect, i.e.,
> inaccurately recorded.  It could well be that marking genitive
> case was still
> "high" style at the time.  I have observed it in Low Saxon/Low
> German
> storytelling and writing a couple of times even now (e.g.,
> _mit miener Fru_
> for _mit mien Fru_ 'with my wife').

I have seen that in Platt of the 1700's.  Although Platt had
lost the dative circa 1700, it still crops up sporadically
throughout the 1700's, including in works in Platt praising and
defending Platt against High German.

I can't tell how much is imitation of older hanseatic written
style, how much is influence from reading High German, and how
much High German crept into at least the middle class's Platt.
Certainly the colloquial derounding of umlaut spread from High
Germany into middle class Platt (e.g. someone wrote "klönen,
oder klaenen, wie wir das sagen".

Of course, our sources of Platt before 1800 comes mostly from
middle class sources (mostly humorous poems for weddings etc.),
so it's unclear whether the working population abandoned the
cases faster or slower.

Stefan Israel
stefansfeder at yahoo.com