LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 29.NOV.2000 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 17:37:41 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.NOV.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: James Krause [sodshanty at usa.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 22.NOV.2000 (06) [E]

> From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
> Subject: "Language varieties"
>
> > From: Stefan Israel [stefansfeder at yahoo.com]
> > Subject: "Language varieties"
> >
> > Ethan Barrett asked:
> > Language vs dialect
> >
> > > how do we
> > > distinguish seperate languages from seperate dialects of the
> > > same language?
> >
> > ouch- that's a question that's bedeviled this list repeatedly,
> > and as a trained linguist, I can tell you-  there is no reliable
> > criterion to determine whether related varietes should be
> > considered dialects or languages.  It's not like boiling water,
> > that has a clear and abrupt transition at 100 degrees C;
> > language varities won't have an abrupt transition (unless
>
> True enough, but we could compare the "dialect/language" question with
> another sort of question about temperature - the one where someone's about
> to go outside and asks someone who's just come in, "Is it cold outside?" The
> answer is partly subjective and partly objective - it depends on such things
> as the actual temperature outside, whether there's a wind, the person's
> tolerance to the cold, how well wrapped up the person was when he was
> outside, and so on. If you put such a question to a _group_ of people who
> have just come in, you can expect differences of opinion in the answers, but
> this doesn't mean the question is pointless - it can still help you to
> decide whether to put a coat on or not.
>
> It seems to me that whatever it might take to satisfy linguists on the
> question, people do have certain ways of judging to their own satisfaction
> whether a given dialect is a language in its own right or whether it's a
> dialect of a more prestigious language. The sort of heuristics people use
> seem to include such questions as:
>
> 1. Is it taught in school?
> 2. Is it taught as a subject at university?
> 3. Is there a literature written in it?
> 4. Is the language mutually unintelligable with the accepted lingua franca
> of the region?
> 5. Does it need a full dictionary of its own rather than the unique portion
> of its vocabulary being included in some other language's dictionary?
>
> And so on. To take the question on the British mainland, for example,
> English can answer such a resounding "yes" to the first three questions that
> it's taken as the lingua franca and the fourth question becomes irrelevant.
> So people judge English as a language. Welsh and Gaelic are strong on the
> first three and absolute on 4. and 5., so again, people judge these as
> languages. Some traditional English dialects such as Geordie and Wessexian
> do not too badly on 4. but fail miserably on the other four, and so are
> judged by many people to be dialects of English. Scots is somewhere in
> between - it would probably score about as highly as English on 5., score
> over 50% on 4. (reading it is difficult for English monoglots, hearing it
> [...]

Ron & Stefan, Then perhaps using the above as a criterion for discerning
between language and dialect, that Appalachian ought to be considered a
dialect, since as a non speaker of Appalachian, I can understand a Kentuckian
or a Tennesseean quite well.  I live in the Midwest, and was raised on the
Pacific coast of the USA.  Gullah, on the other hand is quite indeciferable to
me.  Your thoughts?  Jim

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Language varieties

Jim,

As far as I understand, no one has really come forward and has adamantly
stated that Appalachian is a separate language.  We have included an
Appalachian welcoming page, but that in itself is not necessarily stating that
it is a language.  We also have welcomes in more than one dialect of Low Saxon
and Scots each, for instance.

However, if Appalachian is a dialect, is it a dialect of English or of Scots,
since it is a mixed variety?  If we assume that English and Scots are separate
languages (though very closely related ones), then this would beg the question
what a mixed English-Scots variety is: language or dialect, and if a dialect,
of which.