LL-L: "Help needed" LOWLANDS-L, 04.OCT.2000 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 4 22:32:23 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.OCT.2000 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Eldo Neufeld <greneuf at interchange.ubc.ca>
Subject: (Please) don't disturb

Ron's friend didn't ask for a translation into Plautdietsch -- one of the
dialects of Low Saxon (Low German), of the normal hotel request "Please
don't disturb," but just in case, I'd say it would be: "Bitte nich steare"

Eldo Neufeld
4040 Blenheim St.
Vancouver, BC   V6L 2Y9
Tel: (604) 738-4378
e-mail: greneuf at interchange.ubc.ca

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Help needed

Thanks, Eldo.

Obviously, "Plautdietsch" (i.e., Mennonite Low Saxon/Low German) was
understood to be included in "Low Saxon (Low German)", since it is one of the
dialect groups, namely one that developed from the now probably extinct West
Prussian Low Saxon (of what is now Northern Poland).

I wrote:
> For Northern Low Saxon dialects of Low Saxon (Low German) I'd suggest
> (singular) "Laat mi maal tofreden", (plural) "Laat us maal tofreden."

That might be a bit ... abrupt.  I guess "(Bitte) nich stören" is closer, even
though I don't like it.  ;)