LL-L: "Phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 05.OCT.2000 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 5 15:37:22 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.OCT.2000 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Criostoir O Ciardha [paada_please at yahoo.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Help needed" LOWLANDS-L, 04.OCT.2000 (06) [E]

Dear all,

This is actually something relevant from me, which may
come as something of a shock.

Whilst I've been in Derry, I've noticed a number of
features in the English of the Six Counties and in
Ulster Scots that have intrigued me, and I wondered if
any of you could help me by explaining a few things
about phonology.

For a long time I've been trying to grapple with how
the semi-vowel glide [j] in Ulster Scots developed so
intrusively, particularly in the environment of [k]
and [g]; this feature is at once striking and
fascinating, and comparable with a number of features
in my own dialect of English - I've heard a lot of
people from outside the north of Ireland express
disbelief and astonishment at the "effort" required to
pronounce [kj] in words such as "can't".

So my question is this: where, when and why has Ulster
Scots developed such its own phonology and why isn't
it just "western" Lallans? What substrata are at work?

Thanks for your time and your patience.

Críostóir.

___
Iarnóta: I've found a single book on the lost Lowland
language of Ireland, Yola. When I have more time I'll
provide more information, if it is wanted.