LL-L: "Morphophonology" (was "Phonology") LOWLANDS-L, 08.OCT.2000 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 8 22:02:18 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 08.OCT.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Andy Eagle [Andy.Eagle at t-online.de]
Subject: Phonology  was "Help needed" [E]

Criostoir inquired

Ian wrote:

>There's no surprise there actually, Cristoir. The feature is not a
>Scots one at all. It was, however, present in the English of the
>English Midlands at the time of Shakespeare, and it is from there than
>it entered Ulster (via the south-east, spreading across Armagh and
>Tyrone and into Donegal). It entered some dialects of Ulster-Scots
>(though not the 'core' dialects of mid-Antrim) from Ulster-English,
>rather than the other way around.

This is what  J. Braidwood in  The Ulster Dialect Lexicon, Belfast 1969. p.

7, has to say about this

"...Mrs Degges established that the English-type dialect of this area,
which
was settled mainly from Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire by

followers of Conway, correlates remarkably exactly with the boundaries of
the Conway (later Hertford) estates.
 One particular feature of this area is the presence of palatized velars kj

and gj in words like kjart for cart and gjarden for garden.

A paper (PDF) on the phonology of Ulster and mainland Scots with regard to
spelling can be found on my website at www.scots-online.org/airticles/

R. F. Hahn wrote:

>Given Críostóir's question about what seems to be a case of palatalization

of
>/k/ or of "j intrusion" in Ulster Scots, and given Ian's explanation that
this
>is likely an imported Northeastern English feature (and I assume it still
>exists in some of those dialects of English), I am wondering if this can
be
>attributed to Scandinavization (going back to the Viking invasion).  After

>all, in many Scandinavian varieties /k/ before front vowels undergoes what

can
>be loosely termed "palatalization", though there is no uniform kind of
>phonetic output.  It is very similar to /k/ palatalization in Mennonite
Low
>Saxon (Plautdietsch, k -> kj ~ tj) and also to similar phenomena in
Slavic.
>Of course, consonant palatalization adjacent to front vowels, not unlike
that
>in Slavic, is also a Celtic feature, particularly in the Goidelic group,
so
>there is a slight chance that the Midland dialects have this as a part of
>Celtic substrate.

In Northeast Scots a /k/ before <ae, aCe, ai> /e/ often produces a
yod-gilde
+ /a/, /kja/ in words like caird, cake and curn. Similarly with <naC->
/nja/
in words like nakit, naiter and naig.

Another feature of Ulster Scots I am curious about is the use of a prefixed

<a> before verbs,
There seems to be no trace of this in middle Scots and certainly none in
the
modern mainland Scots dialects. Except for a few fossilised forms e.g.
athraw (awry).This would indicate that a prefixing is a feature of Ulster
English and probably only occurs in Ulster Scots/English contact varieties.