LL-L: "Folklore" LOWLANDS-L, 10.OCT.2000 (10) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 23:10:05 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.OCT.2000 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: niels winther [niels.winther at dfds.dk]
Subject: Folklore

Etymology

Ron wrote:

Just a moment!
  _Slikke_ (and Swedish _slicka_)
  may very well also be a Low Saxon loan;
  cf. Modern LS _slicken_ 'to lick', 'to eat treats'
  (cf. German _schlecken_).
  I can't find an Icelandic cognate.

I think Ron is right, _slikke_ is probably an LS loan-word in Danish and
Swedish. But when it comes to _sleg_ in Jutish, as e.g. in _slegfinger_ for
the
index-finger, then there is possibility that it is directly inherited from Old
Norse _sleikja_

rgds
niels