LL-L: "Morphophonology" LOWLANDS-L, 13.OCT.2000 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 14 00:28:12 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.OCT.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: niels winther [niels.winther at dfds.dk]
Subject: Morphophonology

Helge Tietz wrote:
>> What I am wondering is whether the def. article in
   front-of-substantive phenomenon applies to most of
   Western-Jutland as well...<<

Yes, the prepositioning of the definite article separates the West Jutish and
Southern Jutish group from the all other Nordic language groups.

Helge Tietz wrote:
>> whether this is due to an anglo-saxon-jutish
   substratum or whether this is simply due to the fact
   that -as far as I know- all nordic languages had
   originally the def. article in front of the
   substantive <<

No, in fact the Nordic languages had no definite articles originally.
You will never see any definite article in the older runic inscriptions.
I am not sure if there are younger Swedish runic inscriptions with definite
articles, but no Danish as far as I know.
This is true for Latin as well. I think it was generally so for all Germanic
and
Romance languages originally.
Apart from Romanian and most Nordic languages, the descendant languages got
prepositioned articles. In Romanian and the Nordic languages, apart from
Southern Jutish and West Jutish, the newly acquired definite article was
postfixed. Most Danish linguistic authorities maintain that the prepositioned
definite article in West Jutish and Southern Jutish was a local invention.
Victor Bloch had an idea that there might be a Low Saxon connection.
It would probably be worthwhile studying the common traits with North Frisian.

Helge Tietz wrote:
>> Another explanation I have to give to the fact that
   many non-soenderjysk-Danes believe that the
   Soenderjysk dialect and accent sounds like German..<<

Southern Jutish is a tonality language like Swedish and Norwegian and unlike
most Danish dialects. It has no partial glottal stop "stød", a condition which
it shares with only the southernmost parts of the Danish islands. (By the way
how is it in Low Saxon. High German has a glottal stop like in _Verein_
sampa[fE6"?aIn]. How does LS compare with HG and SJ in this aspect). Southern
Jutish still has a special lexicon. It has kept many of the original Southern
Jutish lexical items and although Danish in general has been under heavy Low
Saxon influence, it is even more pronounced in Southern Jutish, which is only
natural. Especially on the East-coast there are also many High German loans.
It
was also very separated from the general development in Danish in the years
1864
to 1920.

rgds
niels

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]

Niels,

As far as I can tell, in most North Saxon dialects in Germany initial glottal
stop is similar to that in German and most American English dialects.
However, it may not be quite as strongly audible in true native LS speakers
than it is in Standard German.  I cannot speak for other dialect groups.

(There is a fair bit of phonological variety, for instance also with regard to
stop aspiration, which appears to be weak or even absent in some western
varieties.  This stop aspiration, by the way, usually only applies to the
initial syllable of a word, not word-internally as in German.  But back to
glottal stops ...)

Surely you are not suggesting that the Danish _stød_ is the same as
syllable-initial glottal stops in German, English, etc.  In the latter
languages, there are no syllables that start with vowels; they *must* have an
initial consonant.  What people *perceive* as starting with a vowel actually
has a glottal stop, thus is still a CV-type syllable.  As far as I know, the
Danish _stød_ is a different type of phenomenon, a glottal interruption,
usually *within* a vowel (e.g., _ti_ [thi'i] 'ten'), very similar to the
"interrupting" or "dipping" tone in Vietnamese.  It is by many thought to be a
remnant of the old dipping Scandinavian tone.

So, Southern Jutish still has the two tones?  I knew that it doesn't have the
_stød_ but wasn't clear about the tones.