LL-L: "Greetings" LOWLANDS-L, 06.SEP.2000 (03) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 6 19:51:50 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.SEP.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: david strommen [si00924 at navix.net]
Subject: How to greet

Hi all,

I was talking with a member of my congregation recently and after we were
through I tried to tell her in Ostfrysk to "Greet your sister." She did not
know what I was driving at.  How does one say that in Frisian and Low German.
Thanks

David Strommen

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Greetings

Moin, David!

I assume that with "Ostfrysk" you referred to the Low Saxon (Low German)
dialects used in Eastern Friesland.  As you probably know, the Frisian
language is extinct in Eastern Friesland and survives as "Sater(land) Frisian"
(Seeltersk) only in one pocket south of Eastern Friesland, i.e., is no longer
used and understood in the actual homeland.  The Low Saxon dialects of Eastern
Friesland are spoken by people whose ancestors spoke Frisian and who may be
argued to be ethnically Frisian despite their switch to Low Saxon.  Their
dialects have variously strong Frisian substrates.  Eastern Friesland is one
of the most active regions with regard to Low Saxon language, including
literature.

I suppose that "Greet your sister" (i.e., "Give my regards to your sister")
would be one of the following in Low Saxon:

(1) Grööt dien Süster (vun mie).
(2) Ick laat dien Süster gröten.
(3) (Fründelke) Gröötnis(sen) an dien Süster.

I'm not sure if 'sister' is _Süster_ or _Swester_ in Eastern Friesland.  I
believe it's the former.

Hebbt wie wen uut Oostfreesland hier up de List, wen, de us düt beter
verklaart as ick dat do?

Gröten,