LL-L: "Greetings" LOWLANDS-L, 06.SEP.2000 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 7 00:00:02 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 06.SEP.2000 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: david strommen [si00924 at navix.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Greetings" LOWLANDS-L, 06.SEP.2000 (03) [E/LS]

Moin Ron,
Thanks for the help. I said Grööt dien Süster or Swester to her but got a
blank
stare.  She said they never used the term as she remembered only God Dag.
Today I
talked with another member and she said Gruß dein Schwester, but of course
that is
High German she added.  She could not come up with the correct reply
either.
    Thank you also for the information on the Eastern Frisian.  I did not
know
that it was not used there any longer.  Why did it die out there.  Was it
pressure
from the German Language?  The members of the congregation I serve are
almost
exclusively from Ost Friesland.  A neighboring Missouri Synod congregation
is
almost exclusively from the Bremen area.  They discuss a lot about their
differences, although they say they understand one another pretty well.
They
distinguish the two by say we say "protn düütch" and they "snakn".
    Those two words resonated with me as we have prate and snakke in
Scandinavian
along side of the formal tale.  I wonder if these two came from the Low
German.
This is not so important but it just sounded interesting to me. Gröten
David p.s.
I will try and use the suggested greetings you gave me, Thanks

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at u.washington.edu]
Subject: Greetings

Moin, David!

> I said Grööt dien Süster or Swester to her but got a blank
> stare.  She said they never used the term as she remembered only God Dag.

I'm beginning to wonder about her language proficiency considering that she
didn't even *understand* you.  Or was she just taken aback by your code
switching?

I suppose you could also say _Segg dien Süster (maal) 'Goden Dag' vun/för
mie_.

> Ost Friesland

I hate this jargonny name used among East Frisian Americans!  Why use the
*German* name (not even the Low Saxon or Frisian one)?!  It's "Eastern
Friesland" in English.

> They discuss a lot about their
> differences, although they say they understand one another pretty well.
They
> distinguish the two by say we say "protn düütch" and they "snakn".

_Praten_ (~ _proten_), _snacken_, _spreken_ and _küern_ and their variants
for 'to speak' signal the various dialect groups.  _Praten_ is typical of
Eastern Friesland.

 >   Those two words resonated with me as we have prate and snakke in
Scandinavian
> along side of the formal tale.  I wonder if these two came from the Low
German.

That is the general assumption.  The better part of the Scandinavian lexica
is derived from Low Saxon (Low German).

Gröten,