LL-L: "Greetings" LOWLANDS-L, 07.SEP.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 7 14:42:48 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.SEP.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: david strommen [si00924 at navix.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Greetings" LOWLANDS-L, 06.SEP.2000 (08) [E]

Moin Ron,
Her whole family uses "Low Saxon" every day, as do many in my congregation.
With all of our languages that ventured with their immigrant speakers, we have
had a tendency to mix a lot of American and American thinking in it.  When we
came through Ellis Island and they said you were German, Dutch, Irish, Swedish
(in some cases even if you came from Norway before the dissolution of the
union) you figured "well, that's what I am" and to avoid confusion that's what
you told others about yourself.  As to the people of my congregation they seem
to quite comfortable speaking "Low Saxon" among themselves, but when speaking
to me they know I speak some High German, therefore, for me to understand, the
mindset is probably to use a blended language unless I press them on a
specific
word in "Low Saxon.    Thanks for the reply. David