LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 07.SEP.2000 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 7 19:37:32 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.SEP.2000 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Edwin Michael Alexander [edsells at idirect.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 07.SEP.2000 (05) [E]

At 08:01 AM 09/07/00 -0700, david strommen wrote:
>  > I had second thoughts after deleting one of Ron's messages about
> "kot" > and
> > perhaps I remember incorrectly what he said. I just wanted to make clear
> > that in BE the primary meaning of "cot" is a bed, usually with high >
> sides,
> > for a baby. In AmE the word is used for what we call, I would say
> > exclusively, a "camp bed".

Not really.  A cot can also be any small bed, in particular one that folds
up, though not necessarily.  When I was quite small, but too big any more
for the "crib", then I slept on a cot, which could be folded up in two and
rolled into a closet.

My eldest brother, who attended Harvard University as an undergraduate,
then later got his Ph.D there, told me that once he had some visitors
coming, so he phoned a local furniture store in Cambridge, Mass, and asked
if he could rent a cot.  They asked him, "How many wheels do you
want?"  Quickly remembering his local dialect, he said, "Oh, no, I need a
<caught>."  [They thought he was looking for a "cart", pronounced locally
as <caaht>.]
Ed Alexander
JAG REALTY INC.
80 Jones Street Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8R 1Y1
Pager: 905-545-0177  Fax: 905-525-6671 Email: edsells at idirect.com
Jag Realty Inc.: http://www.deerhurst.com/jag/
Ontario Ultra Series:  http://ous.kw.net/
Burlington Runners Club: http://www.deerhurst.com/brc/