LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 09.SEP.2000 (01) [D/E/F]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 9 18:37:46 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 09.SEP.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: david strommen [si00924 at navix.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 08.SEP.2000 (11) [E]

Modern Low Saxon (Low German) also a verb-derived (/köör-/)
adjective/adverb with /-S/: _köörsch_ ~ _küürsch_ ~ _krüüsch_ (metathesis)
'choosy', 'picky' (mostly with reference to food) (> Missingsch
_krü(ü)sch_); e.g., ...

He is asig krüüsch 'He is awfully choosy', 'He is a terribly picky eater'
Nu wees maal nich so krüüsch! 'Don't be so picky!'

Thanks for the jog in my memory.  We in Scandinavian have the word "kresen"

for choosey "Du er alldeles kresen", meaning you are a picky or very
choosey
person.  I couldn't get it that we didn't have some sort of connection with

the Low German here, that also helped me with the connection with English
word
Choice too for that matter. Thanks Ron
 With regards og hilsen David