LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 15.SEP.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 15 14:36:54 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.SEP.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Pepijn Hendriks [pepijnh at bigfoot.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 13.SEP.2000 (01) [E]

John Feather wrote:

>>The s(z)/r switch in verbs is preserved in English (only?) in the
>>word "forlorn". ".

[...]

>Yes, because I meant "it is preserved only in the word 'forlorn' in
>English but I am not sure that someone isn't going to find another
>example". I thought that we had already established the existence of
>the phenomenon in Dutch, German, etc.

The alternation also occurs in the form _was_ vs. _were_ as
singular and plural form respectively of the past tense of _to be_.
Interestingly, Dutch has retained the same alternation _was_ vs.
_waren_ whereas German has generalised the _r_ to which the
forms _war_ vs. _waren_ testify.

There are other relics to be found in Dutch, such as _uitverkoren_
'chosen', which is related to the verb _uitverkiezen_ 'to choose'.
These are cognate to forms of the archaic German _erküren_ 'to
choose, elect' (past tense _erkor_, past participle _erkoren_)

Please note that I have just re-subscribed to the list after a three-
week holiday, so I haven't read much of the earlier messages in this
thread. If I'm stating something already said, I apologise for that.

-Pepijn

--
 pepijnh at bigfoot.com -- http://www.bigfoot.com/~pepijnh -- ICQ - 6033220