LL-L: "Administrativa" LOWLANDS-L, 17.SEP.2000 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 17 19:47:09 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 17.SEP.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Administrativa

Dear Lowlanders,

Here is a reminder of the posting guidelines.  This is necessary because of

an increase in "slips" lately and because beginning posters keep making
basic mistakes.  This is mandatory reading for all but the most experienced
contrinutors.

I encourage lurkers to come forward and contribute.  You
need not feel intimidated as long as you stick to the basic guidelines.

PLEASE DO READ THESE GUIDELINES.

(1) KEEP DISCUSSIONS RELEVANT.  Please remember that we deal with the
"Lowlands" area.  This is not synonymous with "Germanic" but excludes
German, Luxembourgish and the North Germanic languages (Scandinavian,
Icelandic and Faroese).  It is perfectly fine to mention these related
languages, and any other languages and their cultures for that matter,
especially wherever there are parallels or connections that are useful in
understanding topics that are within our main subject area.  However, the
focus must remain on the Lowlands languages and cultures.  It is all right
to sidestep within a discussion, as long as the discussion returns to the
original focus.  However, this should not be seen as an excuse to start a
new, extraneous subject line.

(2) KEEP SUBJECTS SEPARATE.  Do not submit a single posting in which more
than one topic is discussed.  ("Topic" equals "subject line".)  This also
applies when you respond to other people's postings.

(3) STICK TO THE SUBJECT TITLE.  If you start an entirely new discussion,
you are welcome to create your own subject title.  I may or may not adopt
that title.  (The more general the title is the better is the chance that
I'll adopt it; otherwise I'll generalize it.)  If you respond or add to
already existing title of that discussion threat as your subject heading.
For instance, if the current title is "Language varieties" and you respond
to what someone wrote about vowels in Flemish dialects, don't choose
something like "Long o and u in the dialects of Southern Flanders and
speech habits of young Belgians" as your subject heading; stick to
"Language varieties," if you like it or not. This facilitates sorting
submissions at my end.  If I feel that the discussion has changed or a new
discussion has branched off an existing one, it is *my* job to give it a
new title.

(4) EDIT QUOTES.  When you reply to what someone else has written, don't
just hit the reply button and write your reply before or after the quoted
text.  Edit out whatever is not essential, most definitely the LL-L
masthead and footer.  (They are going to stay, for good reasons.)  Also,
don't do what some do: they follow this rule nicely until they run out of
things to say, and then they let the rest of the quoted text dangle behind
their "signature."

(5) GIVE CREDIT.  Don't forget to say who the writer of the text is to
which you are responding.  (When you hit the reply button your system most
likely credits me, the sender, even if I did not write it.)

(6) IDENTIFY YOURSELF.  Anonymous postings are not permitted.  Readers must

be able to see who wrote a posting.  Many people have automatic
"signatures;" they are great, as long as they are not attached.  (No
attachments allowed!)  Otherwise, your name must appear either with your
address or at the end of your contribution.  It is all right to have your
surname appear in one place and your given name in another place within the
same posting.

By all means, please feel free to submit postings to LL-L, even if you have
never done so before.  If you make a gross mistake, I'll tell you so and
will have you resubmit it correctly before anyone else sees it -- which
isn't the end of the world. If the mistake is not so bad, I'll correct it
with the hope that you will get the hint.

If you have never posted but are considering getting into it, it's a good
idea to watch the "masters," the "old hands" or "veterans" on LL-L, namely
those subscribers who contribute frequently and have been around for a long
time.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Best regards and thanks,

Reinhard "Ron"