LL-L: "Help needed" LOWLANDS-L, 18.SEP.2000 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 19 02:49:34 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 18.SEP.2000 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Help needed

[The following is in Low Saxon (Low German) and English.]

Leve Leeglanners,
Ick bruuk Juun Hülp mit 'n paar Wöörd' in'n westmönsterlanner Mundaard vun
Vreden up de düütsche Kant vun de düütsch-nedderlandsche Grenss.  Ick
glööv', düsse Mundaard is duun verwandt mit us Henry sien twentsche
Mundaard un is schients ook nich wied af vun us Reiner sien westföölsche
Mundaard.  Köönt Jie mie de Wöörd' un Uutdrücken maal verklaren?  In eckige
Klemmen ([ ]) schriev ick de Wöörd' mit 'n nedderlandsche Schrievwies' so
good as ick dat weet.
Besten Dank.
Reinhard/Ron

Dear Lowlanders,
I need your help with a few words in a West Munsterland dialect (of Low
Saxon/Low German) of Vreden on the German side of the German-Netherlands
border.  I believe this dialect is closely related to Henry's Twente
dialect and is apparently not very much removed from Reiner's Westphalian
dialect. Could you explain the words and expressions to me?  In square
brackets
([ ]) are my approximate renderings in a Dutch-based orthography.
Thanks a lot.
Reinhard/Ron

äösen [äeuzen]
from "Aos" [aos]?

bie'n Kopp [bien kop] {"by the head"}
(de Fietse bie'n Kopp [de vietse bien kop] "the bicycle by the head")

Bubikes [boebikes]
(kläine Bubikes [kleine boebikes])

dörn Korf fallen [deurn korf vallen] {"fall through the basket"}
"be done with"?, "have become a persona non grata"?
(Denne is mi toch so dörn Korf follen)

drammen

Fanal [vana(a)l]
"madness"? "to-do"?

Flünnen [vlunnen]
"rags"?

Glase [glaze]
(dör de Glase gooien "toss through the glass"?)

huckedahl [hoekedaal]
"hunched"? "cowering"?

ineene [inene, in eene]
(Denne göng krumm ineene van Gicht)

inne Piepe rooken [inne piepe roken] {"smoke in the pipe")
(Denne kahs inne Piepe rooken "You can smoke him in the pipe")

Kluuse [kloeze]
"monk's cell"?
(Denne döht nix mehr up Karke un Kluuse)

Koffieschop [koffiesjop]
"coffeeshop"?

Kuratel [koeratel]
(under Kuratel)

Lauschepper [laausjepper]

Lierendräiher [lierendreier]
"organ-grinder"? "someone who does no serious work"?

loss [los]
"permeable"? "open"? "rid of"? "lost"?
(De Grensen bünt loss. "The borders are open"? "We've lost the borders"?)

van nießen [van niessen]
"anew"? "once again"?

nigges
"nothing at all"? "not even"?

nöhlen [neulen]
"dawdle"? "nag"?

Pütt [put]
"puddle"? "lake"?
(in’ Pütt springen [inn put springen])

schällen [sjellen]
"lack"?
(Et schällt an nix [Et sjelt aan niks] "there is no shortage of anything"?)

sööte Huuskapläöne [zeute hoeskapläeune] {"sweet house chaplains"}

Twarssene (< adj. twarssen?) [twarsen(e)]

Väenekuhle [väenekoele]
"swamp hole"? "bog pit"?

vernienig

verschliert [versjlierd]