LL-L: "Help needed" LOWLANDS-L, 08.APR.2001 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 8 18:45:48 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 08.APR.2001 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Frank Verhoft [frank.verhoft at pandora.be]
Subject: Soft cry for help

Dear Mister Moderator
Dear List Members

I plead guilty, this mail is highly abusive, since it has not much to do
with the wide range of topics discussed in this group. Nevertheless i hope
this mail can be distributed via the Lowlands group.

I do hope that replies to this mail, both positive or negative ones, will
be
sent to my private e-mail address, in order not to abuse this e-group as a
forum or a gathering point for my own little, non-academic, non-commercial,

private project.
My address is frank_verhoft at yahoo.com

I'm very much interested in languages and linguistics, on a very
"amateur-ish" basis, though, and sometimes i feel the need to know how this

or that sentence or grammatical construction is written in this or that
language.
Although the net provides a lot of information concerning languages and
grammars and the like, i can't always exactly find what i'm searching for.

In short, i'm looking for native speakers of any non-Lowland language who
are willing to

1. translate a few things into their mother tongue from time to time. Those

"few things" will be very short
sentences, presented in English. Otherwise said, i'm not planning to ask
anybody to translate, let's say, Tolstoi's "War and Peace" from Russian to
Swahili, or from Romanian to Pharsi.

2. provide short comments on the sentences if i don't understand the
construction the first time (which, i'm afraid, may happen from, erm,  time

to time).

One extra question, i'd also appreciate if people could send any hyperlink
to sites devoted to any kind of language.

Nothing is meant to be used in any kind of publication, on or off line, nor

will it become part of a commercial or academic project whatsoever. Neither

will the e-mail addresses be used for anything else than the purpose
described above.

I'd like to ask people who want to volunteer for this to send me a mail
containing their native language and/
or dialect. My address: frank_verhoft at yahoo.com

Many thanks in advance for people who want to help me with this one.
Many apologies to people who'd rightly think this question has been sent to

the wrong e-group.

Best regards,

Frank Verhoft