LL-L: "Grammar" LOWLANDS-L, 20.APR.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 21:20:06 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.APR.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Peo Almqvist [trommeltje at netscape.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Grammar" LOWLANDS-L, 19.APR.2001 (02) [E]

You forgot zitten vs. zetten

And since you put Scandianvian languages on the list, I would like to add some
comments on the Swedish examples.

learn vs. teach
lära vs. lära

Swedish 'lära' is unlike ie. Dutch 'leren' always di-transitive. That means it
is reflexive in the meaning to learn. For example:

ik heb het geleerd
jag har lärt mig det

burrow vs. lend
låna vs. låna

To lend is normally 'låna ut' where 'ut' is a verb particle. But it is never
di-transitive. 'Låna' (without particle) with the meaning to lend is also
possible but less usual, and is di-transitive. For example:

jag har lånat ut pengar till honom (lit. I have lent out money to him)
jag har lånat honom pengar (I have lent him money)
*jag har lånat ut honom pengar (I have lent out him money)
*jag har lånat pengar till honom (I have lent money to him)

Groeten
Peo Almqvist

----------

From: HS Brandsma [hsbrand at sloep03.cs.vu.nl]

koartby skreau Ron

> I am interested in verb pairs of the types listed below, where in general
> standard or in "substandard" language varieties (wherever there *is* a
> language-wide standard) only one of them is used to convey both meanings.
> Specifically, I am interested in the spread of this phenomenon among the
> Lowlands languages (with references to other Germanic varieties and, to a
> lesser extent, to non-Germanic language varieties).  I am also interested in
> finding out if there are any other such verb pairs in any Lowlands varieties.

> (1) 'acquire knowledge/skill' vs 'cause to acquire knowledge/skill'
>
> General Standard Dutch:
> _leren_ vs _leren_

Of course, if one wants to really make it unambiguous as to which
meaning is referred, in Dutch one can use "onderwijzen" for "to
teach". The derived noun "onderwijzer" is used for a primary school
teacher while "leraar" (from "leren" in the second meaning) is used
for a secondary school teacher.
so one could also speak of a distinction "leren" - "onderwijzen"

In Westerlauwer Frisian we use "leare" for both, though the word
"u^nderwize" also exists (probably coined from Dutch).
Mooring has "liire". I believe, and Saterlandic "leere".

> (2) 'acquire on loan' vs 'provide on loan'

In Westerlauwer Frisian we'd say "liene", in Saterlandic "le(e)ne"
There is the word _u'tliene_ / Dutch _uitlenen_ to distinguish the
second meaning from the first one.
I also believe that older Frisian also had _boargje_ in the first
meaning.

> (3) 'be in a (prone) position' vs 'cause to be in a (prone) position'

In all types of Frisian these verbs merged early on, due to soundlaws:
both were Old Frisian _ledza_, modern westerlauwer Frisian _lizze_
[lIz@] or [le:z@], depending on dialect).

Henno Brandsma

----------

From: niels winther [niels.winther at dfds.dk]
Subject: Grammar

Ron, you wrote:

> I am interested in verb pairs <...>,
> where in general standard or in "substandard" language varieties
> (wherever there *is* a language-wide standard) only one of them
> is used to convey both meanings. Specifically, I am interested in
> the spread of this phenomenon among the Lowlands languages (with
> references to other Germanic varieties and, to a lesser extent,
> to non-Germanic language varieties).  I am also interested in
> finding out if there are any other such verb pairs in any Lowlands
> varieties. Any other information and also theories concerning this
> type of phenomenon would be appreciated also.  One or both of the
> verbs in a pair may have lexical alternatives, but I am not all that
> interested in these, am only interested in whether or not the "same"
> verb *may* express both meanings.

The westeuropean exotic characters 'æøåäö' didn't get through the meshes
in your last mail. I don't what happened to my setup.
I hope the Danish exotics get through this time.

(3) 'be in a (prone) position' vs 'cause to be in a (prone) position'

"Substandard" Danish:
_ligge_ vs _ligge_

General Standard Danish:
_ligge_ vs _lægge_

there are other sets of verb of this kind.
like e.g:

    'wake up'  vs 'awaken (somebody)'

"Substandard" Danish:
_vågne_ vs _vågne_

General Standard Danish:
_vågne_ vs _vække_

are you interested in all verbs, that functions both
transitively and intransitively as ergative pairs
like _drown_, _melt_ etc. ?

or only in those that have within the same linguistic area
a parallel set that differentiates according to ergativity ?

rgds
niels