LL-L: "Semantics" LOWLANDS-L, 22.APR.2001 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 22 19:52:55 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.APR.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Criostoir O Ciardha [paada_please at yahoo.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Semantics" LOWLANDS-L, 21.APR.2001 (04) [E]

A chairde,

I don't usually get into debates on verbs as I lack
authority and esteem. However, Ron's examples of the
Low Saxon verb "folgen" (to follow), got me thinking
about my own variety of English. Ron wrote:

> (e.g., English _follow_,
> Scots _fallow_ ~ _follae_

In my mother tongue there is no independent verb "to
follow". This seems incongruous, I know, but (and I
lack knowledge of the relevant linguistic terminology)
the verb only exists in relation to the objects and
subjects of the action, e.g., 1) "Am follaeyin yuh"
['aem: fo^l:e:'jin: 'j@] - lit. "I'm following you"
for "I follow you". 2) "Ah wuh folluhrin nim" [ae w@
fo^l:@rin: nim:] - lit. "I were following him" for "I
followed him". (There is also the construction "Ah wuh
follaeyin nim" which has identical meaning and quality
to 2).)

One cannot say "follow" or "follow!" (vocative) - it
is meaningless and *must* be qualified by an agent of
action - object or subject. The forms *folla and
*follae as stand-alones simply do not exist. If
someone said that to me, I would think, "Are they
talking to me or someone else? Who are they
addressing?" There is a strange emphatic "urgent" form
which seems to be a kind of bastardised vocative but
even *that* must be qualified by an agent of action -
e.g. "Follee yim, thenn!" [fol:'i:j 'jim De^n:]
(literally, "follow him, then!") with "thenn" acting
as an imperative, a must, a directive, informing the
meaning of the preceding verb.

This kind of subject/object-absolute verb formation
reminds me of Irish and its personalised verbs, e.g.,
"feic" (vt. "see"), but "feicim" ("I see") and "tá mé
ag feicáil" ("I am seeing"); "feicid" ("you see
[sg.]").

Is this obsession with concreting the verb to a
subject or object of action *in all circumstances* a
common aspect of Lowland languages?

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Críostóir.