LL-L: "Idiomatica" LOWLANDS-L, 30.APR.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 20:02:13 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 30.APR.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Idiomatica

Dear Lowlanders,

I wonder if any of you are able to enlighten me about the origin and spread
of a certain idiomatic device.  I assume this device is restricted to
American English, more specifically to certain southern dialects of the
United States, and I would not be surprised if it turned up in Appalachian
as well.  However, I believe there is always a possibility that it is
derived from European English or from another language.

When her children were young, my mother-in-law would occasionally use this
special device.  She used it very rarely when her children were adults, and
then she tended to use it at least half jokingly, unless she was really
angry.  As I understand it, the basic social function of this device is
that of some sort of power posturing and of sternly reprimanding, warning,
threatening or challenging, in all cases dismissing a statement, demand or
explanation/excuse of someone over whom one wields power, real or
imagined.  The underlying message is the threat "I'd/I'll give you a
beating."

The basic requirement for this device is a compound noun that expresses the
crucial item in someone else's "offending" statement or question.  The
basic rule is this: one of the noun components is converted into a verb
(usually a pseudo-verb, but sometimes it happens to be an existing verb),
and the other component then serves as an object noun.

Examples (made up):

(1) "I had to stop at Danny's to play with his new tow truck."
    "I'll tow your truck if you don't come home directly again."

(2) "Can't I have a candy bar, please, please, please?"
    "I'll candy your bar in a second." or   "I'll bar your candy in a
second."

(3) "Mom, Cathy won't let me play with the hula hoop!"
    "I'll hula your hoop if you don't leave her alone."

(4) "Can't I at least finish watching the Disney cartoons first?"
    "I'll disney your cartoon(s) if you don't do your homework right now"
or
    "I'll cartoon your disney if you don't do your homework right now"

(5) "But I said I wanted pork chops!"
    "I'll chop your pork if you don't eat what's on your plate." or
    "I'll pork your chops if you don't eat what's on your plate."

Is this familiar to any of you?  Do you have any background information?
How widely is this used, geographically, ethnically?  A couple of times I
have heard someone say this kind of thing to an adult in movies, each time
meant to be a threat.  I have never heard it used around here (the U.S.
northwest coast), except from my mother-in-law, who grew up at Georgia's
border with Alabama and was of mixed African, European and Native American
(assumedly Creek) background (but of course was classified as "Black" in
keeping with time and place).  I have never heard this device used before I
came to the United States.

Thanks for any information you care to share.