LL-L: "Language policies" LOWLANDS-L, 02.AUG.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 14:06:53 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.AUG.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 A=Afrikaans, Ap=Appalachian, D=Dutch, E=English, F=Frisian, L=Limburgish

From: Rudi Vari <rudi at its.co.za>
Subject: LL-L: "Language policies" LOWLANDS-L, 31.JUL.2001 (02) [E]

> Brad Thiele <bradley at onetel.net.uk> wrote:

"Dear Lowlanders,
I wonder if anyone can inform me about the history of the use of Dutch in
South Africa.  Am I correnct in my recollection that it was in fact an
"official language" of the country until the 1930s?

> Regards,
>
> Brad Thiele"

Hallo Brad/Lowlanders

This is all that I could find so far on the net:

"For centuries, Afrikaans was regarded as kitchen
Dutch, the talk of primitive Boers, while
so-called proper people spoke standard Dutch
('Hoog Hollands'), the language of the authorized
Dutch Calvinist version of the Bible, of the law
and of public administration. From the 1870's on,
the Afrikaans Language Movement tried to gain
acceptance for written Afrikaans as a language
of literature and of the Bible, but it was not until
1925 that Afrikaans finally replaced Dutch as an
official language of the Union of South Africa. "

It is part of a web page at URL:
http://www.rnw.nl/society/afrikaners/html/afrikaans.html

I also remember having learnt at school that the bible was translated into
Afrikaans in 1933.

Kind regards
Rudi Vari