LL-L: "Help needed" LOWLANDS-L, 09.AUG.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 19:17:09 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.AUG.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 A=Afrikaans, Ap=Appalachian, D=Dutch, E=English, F=Frisian, L=Limburgish

From: "Frans Buter" <frans at buter.myweb.nl>
Subject: LL-L: "Help needed" LOWLANDS-L, 08.AUG.2001 (01) [D/E]

> From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L: "Help needed [16th Century, Antwerp, Buildings]"
>
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I am working my way through the Dutch dictionary, and have reached the
> entry for 'ankerhoodt'
> This has a ship's anchor meaning, and a muuranker meaning, which is
> explained in the following quotation:
>
> Een yugelyck mach tymmeren ende metsen opt duyterste van synder erven,
> ende soe nae eens anders erve alst hem belieft, maer moet alsdan up syn
> vuyterste erve bliven, syn ankerhoodt binnen synen muere houden ende
> entrecken.
>
> I am having a little difficulty translating this! (I have two years of
> Dutch evening classes, which have equipped me to ask for a double room
> with shower ....)  The text is 1545, Antwerp.  The word which has me
> foxed is 'duyterste' or 'vuyterste' (assuming it _is_ the same word!).
> When I got to 'duyterste' I made it 'first-penny' and wondered if it
> were some kind of contractual term...
>
> I'm guessing that 'metsen' is modern Dutch 'metselen', and a lot of
> other things.  If anyone knows of a 'Get By in Early Modern Dutch'
> course (book or a real course somewhere), I'd be very grateful!
>
> Best wishes to all,
>
> Pat

Dear Pat,

It looks like the same is meant with duyterste and vuyterste. Maybe it's a
grammatical difference? It must mean "uiterste" (utter/utmost). "Metsen"
isn't modern Dutch. It's common in Flanders and some bordervillages
in Zeeuws-Vlaanderen and is synonymous with then ABN-word "Metselen".
Similar with the profession, in ABN: "Metselaar", in Flanders: "Metser".

Greetings,

Frans Buter