LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 26.AUG.2001 (02) [E/S]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 01:08:48 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.AUG.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 A=Afrikaans, Ap=Appalachian, D=Dutch, E=English, F=Frisian, L=Limburgish

From: Margaret Tarbet <oneko at mindspring.com>
Subject: Etymology

Roger wrote:
>I understand for "touw" there has been an shift in meaming from
>"manufacturing" to "machining of flax" to "rope".
>When a weaving machine is called "getouw" one rather feels a link to
>"touw" (rope) than to "machine". I'm not aware of "touwen" as verb still
>having a sense of "making just something".

And Ron responded:

>(1) TOW &c [tVu] 'tow, flax or hemp fibre, twine, string, etc.' (19th
>cent.)
>
>(2) TOW &c [tVu] 'rope, cord, length of strong twine' (and then various
>types of specific ropes)
>
>These seem to be cognates of Middle Dutch and Middle Low Saxon (Low
German)
>_touwe_ 'rope' (> D. _touw_, LS _touw_ ~ _Tau_ > German _Tau_), and I
>assume that is the meaning in the song as well.

Actually, if we consider the hand-loom weaver's work, I reckon the
'tow' in Rab's song is more specifically 'twist' or 'thread' than
any of those non-clothmaking-related (...er, what's the class word
for thread, twine, string, rope and similar?) called out in
Chambers.   The stages, as I recall, are raw stuff (e.g.
wool)->carded lint->spun twist->spun thread->woven cloth.
Certainly I've never heard of string/rope manufacture referred to as
'spinning'.   Sandy, have you?  John?

Margaret

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Knowing next to nothing about weaving, I did not realize that English, too,
has the related word _tow_ "coarse and broken part of flax or hemp prepared
for spinning; loose bunch of rayon etc. strands;" ... "ME, f. MLG _touw_,
f. OS _tou_, rel. to ON _tó_ wool f. *_taw-_" ... (The Concise Oxford
Dictionary) -- thus, a Middle Low Saxon (Low German) loan.